If your home or business is affected by flooding, earthquakes, hurricanes, or a similar event, please observe these tips to stay safe:
- If flooding occurs at a residence or business and the gas appliances are underwater, do not try to operate the appliances. Instead, contact Atmos Energy or a qualified service professional to conduct a safety inspection.
- During a natural disaster or severe weather event DO NOT turn off natural gas at the meter, even if evacuations are issued.
- If you think you smell gas, immediately leave the affected area, and from a safe distance call 911 or Atmos Energy’s 24-hour emergency response line at 866.322.8667.
- NEVER try to find the source of a gas leak.
- DO NOT use a mobile phone or anything that might cause a spark, such as a generator.
- If a natural gas meter is damaged or a gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call the Atmos Energy 24-hour emergency response line at 866.322.8667.
- Know where your natural gas meter is located. Make sure it’s visible and free of trash and debris. Mechanical equipment used to clean up after a storm may damage the meter if it is hidden.
- Natural gas distribution pipelines are mostly underground but can be damaged by uprooted trees and shifted foundations. After a storm, call 811 to have the location of underground utility lines marked, as gas service lines could become tangled.
- Atmos Energy customers experiencing a natural gas outage or service interruption should contact the company's customer service number at 888.286.6700. Service will be restored as quickly as possible once the area is deemed safe.
We want you and your family always to be safe. Please be aware of these safety tips during severe weather:
Snow and ice buildup can damage gas meters and pipes and make them difficult to reach in an emergency. Blocked vents for dryers and other gas appliances can lead to a dangerous buildup of carbon monoxide gas.
To help keep your home and family safe during snowy or icy weather:
Atmos Energy is engaged in regulated utility operations. Atmos Energy Corporation. All Rights Reserved.